Japanese cotton cheesecake/Bông lan phô mai Nhật Bản
4 egg yolks
250g creme cheese
60g plain flour
20g corn flour
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp creme tartar
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celcius. Line the bottom of a mould with baking paper. Don’t line the sides of the mould. Don’t use springform cake moulds as this cake will be baked in a water bath.
- Prepare a double boiler. In a bowl, combine egg yolk, 30g sugar, butter, creme cheese and milk. Heat using the double boiler while mixing until all is combined and smooth. Pass through a sieve (optional)
- Remove from heat. Sieve the flour and mix in with this mixture. Put aside.
- Whisk the egg whites at medium speed. When it foams, add salt and creme of tartar. Whisk until fine foam stage, slowly add sugar in. Increase speed and whisk until soft peak stage.
- By now, the egg yolk mixture should have cooled down too.
- Fold in the egg whites taking care not to break all the bubbles in the egg whites. Transfer to a baking mould suitable to be used in a water bath without leaking.
- Boil a kettle of water.
- Put the mould in a baking tray. Add boiling water up to half the height of the mould.
- Bake at 150 degrees Celcius for 1 hour or until an inserted bamboo skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 min. Remove from mould. Invert on a cooling rack, peel off the lining baking paper and let the cake cool completely.
- Enjoy the cake once cooled or alternatively, refrigerate for a few hours and enjoy.